Nafissa D Thompson-Spires
- Creative Writing: Fiction
- Television Studies: Youth Culture and Sitcoms
- 20th Century American Literature
In my fiction, I consider what it means to be a (black)subject in an era of alleged postracialism, particularly when gender,technology, and disability intersect with racial identity.
In my research, I examine how television series--especially youth series--circulate internationally and come to define cultural aesthetics, approaches to multiculturalism, and models of didacticism.
- PhD in English--Vanderbilt University
- MFA in Creative Writing--University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
Distinctions / Awards
- Winner, 2014 Josephine M. Bresee Memorial Award in Short Fiction
- Honorable Mention, 2013 Josephine M. Bresee Memorial Award in Short Fiction